So you call yourselves geeks or fans of shows that are fantasy based? You buy your tickets to SDCC every year and spend thousands to stand in line all day to see the new X-MEN trailer? But when I ask you if you watched this show or that you look at me like I just kissed your sister (ignore this one if I just kissed your sister)!
First, let me define the difference between a GEEK and a NERD since this is bound to turn into "that's not a geek show" or "you don't know what you are talking about, nerd!" Only my opinion matters in this regard since it is my list. If you don't agree, then you have only yourself to blame.
Here are the top 10 Geek shows... that you should watch:
10. SOUTH PARK (1997-Present) - It is animated, edgy, pop cultury, hilarious and even after over fourteen seasons, still relevant (unlike that show on FOX with the spiky haired brat). The fact that they can make these episodes in less than a week and have them ready for airing also means it is the only show that can take an immediate current event and lampoon it before the ink is dry on your Sunday paper (people still read those, right?).
9. THE IT CROWD (2006-Present) - A show from the UK that is full of pop culture and geek centric themes. Only a true geek would love it. While it plays around with the world of information technology, it only does so on the surface, focusing more on the comedy of outcasts.
8. SPACED (1999-2001) - Another UK show. Made by geeks, for geeks, about geeks. Though made way back in the day (over 10 years ago), it still feels current as the generational themes haven't shifted all that much in geek world. It also has the most amazing "gun fight" ever put to film.
7. ARCHER (2009-Present) - Geeks love toys. Archer has tons of them. Plus witty writing and crude humor make for win. The show is wish fulfillment for geeks as Archer can do anyone and anything without suffering too many consequences. It is also brutal, reference heavy and very quotable.
6. FIREFLY (2002) - Never even made it through a whole season but is worshipped by geeks everywhere for its great characters, fun stories, quick dialogue and geektastic casting. Though this show aims more for realism than fantasy, it avoids nerdisms by not getting caught up in technicalities.
5. COMMUNITY (2009-Present) - One of those shows that could end up much higher on the list down the line. It is an orgie of all things geek and more often than not executed masterfully. It is like every show and yet no show can be compared to it. Arguably the most geek show ever made. It is important to note that if you watch just the first few episodes of season 1, then you won't experience what this show has become as the writers went along. Watch them all or don't bother, the payoff is pretty incredible.
4. CHUCK (2007-2012) - Terrible name for an intoxicatingly lovable show. This is the ultimate geek fantasy. Brilliant guy in a dead-end job gets abilities through tech and is suddenly thrust into the spy world. Assigned a beautiful CIA handler, he falls for her. And the rest is history. This show delivers more character progress in 78 episodes (91 will be its final tally) than most shows do in 178. Plus, how can you not be watching a show where characters hum the Imperial March from Star Wars to gain confidence for a mission? Or demonstrate proficiency with an Italian accent inspired by Nintendo's Mario? All in the same episode! Not to mention one of the most likable casts on television. If you haven't checked it out yet, you should. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
3. QUANTUM LEAP (1989-1993) - Scott Bakula at his best (though, he is pretty great on CHUCK as well). A never-ending possibility of story lines and shifting characters in every episode, this has to be one of the most challenging acting gigs ever. Never given its proper respect due to being too sci-fi, it lasted just long enough to give us almost everything we ever wanted, with an ending that left us wanting more.
2. LOST (2004-2010) - Not just one of the best geek shows of all time (nerds dig this one too) but one of the best television shows of all time. Full of sci-fi, fantasy, drama, and humor, along with brilliant writing, it will go down in geek-history as one of the most controversial series finales ever. Whether you were satisfied at the end or not, that shouldn't change the greatness of the journey.
1. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (2004-2009) - When it was announced that this 70s series would be re-imagined and that it would change major characters and plot elements around, many raged against it and slammed the miniseries. But the show went to season, thanks to the UK, and Americans started hearing positive things from their cousins across the pond and suddenly BSG became the most illegally downloaded thing on planet Earth! And then we saw what those Brits were talking about and the lovefest began. With its deep social, political, and religious themes, as well as some of the most amazing space battle sequences you will ever see, and major story shifts along the way, this is the best geek show of all time! That... you should watch.
Your favorite show didn't make the list? Well, I can be persuaded to add more or even change the list. Argue for your choices in the comments section. If I haven't watched your favorite show, I will consider it if you make it sound sexy. But if your only argument is "YOU SHOULD HAVE INCLUDED FUTURAMA! YOU ARE NOT A GEEK!" then I will just add that show to the "dumbest fans of" list next week.
NOTE TO BABYLON 5 fans: Your show was 10th and SOUTH PARK was 11th on my list but I switched the spots because I haven't watched all of B5 and didn't get as involved in it. I may some day change the rankings once I catch up on shows (like FRINGE). But I didn't feel it was an honest list if I included a show I hadn't finished watching.