17 August, 2012

Review - SUITS 2.09: 'Asterisk'


My take-away from 'Asterisk': Melky Cabrera should have retired two days before the episode aired.

Seriously, how crazy is it that the DAY BEFORE 'Asterisk' came on, a prominent Major League Baseball player got busted for performance-enhancing drugs? Reminds me of the time on 'Chuck' where John Casey pulled out a photo of Osama Bin Laden for target practice a short time after he was killed in real life.

Aside from the crazy timing of that storyline, that might have been the worst case in the history of law shows .. and that's saying something. But this episode wasn't about that (just one of the several reasons why that storyline shouldn't have been in the episode at all) and the resolution of what this episode was really about won't be until next week. So if you're expecting a good final score of this episode, I suggest you don't scroll all the way down the page.

While it seems fairly obvious what the end-result of this battle between Pearson-Hardman will be, it's not a guarantee what will happen regarding Louis' possible senior partnership. I like Litt the most when he's playing his jealous/winy/slimy self, so I'm not sure I want to see him get the promotion. If he does, we'll just have to settle for how much fun Louis has with Harvey when they are on the same level/playing field. That rivalry is the gift that keeps on giving and I don't expect that to change even if Louis' position does.

If I were Louis, I wouldn't vote for either of these assholes. Hardman couldn't care less about Litt, tried to frame him and is clearly using and manipulating him -- and very well, I might add.. And Jessica has been an unappreciative bitch to him since the series began. I like how Jessica said she doesn't respond to threats, but she's perfectly OK to make them herself.

As for those crazy 'shippers out there (you know who you are), you must have loved what you saw this week. Mike and Rachel had some nice moments together and the big emotional scene at the end is probably what will drive these two crazy kids back together. The second they were checking out that apartment for the first time, I knew: it was gonna be Mike and Rachel living there together, not Mike and Grandma.

R.I.P Grandma.

On a more positive note: congrats Rachel on becoming a lawyer. Now the show just needs to get a new hot paralegal to take her place and piss off all the 'shippers. Ha!


QUOTES OF NOTE:

--DONNA (to Harvey): "I heard that little shit re-did my filing system."

--MIKE (to Harvey): "You're not gonna tell the bar association that I deserve an asterisk, are you"

--HARVEY (to Mike): "Good. Fine. Go. I wouldn't want her to think I'm a hard-ass."


RANDOM RAMBLINGS:

--Donna strutting her stuff > Louis strutting his stuff

--It took Donna all of two minutes back at the firm to prove her worth, tipping off Jessica at what Hardman was up to.

--Harvey driving 65 in a school zone ... I like his style.

--I kind of want to stop the run of creepiness on my Suits and White Collar reviews lately, but I'm sorry, I have to say it: Rachel looked incredible in this episode. DAMN.

--After watching Mike and Rachel hug for like 20 seconds at the end, it made me realize that I could really use a hug right now too.


THE SCORE: 59 out of 100

This episode had its moments and highlights, but the case was TERRIBLE and the real action comes next week in the mid-season finale. This was just a typical sub-par precursor episode. So don't you dare quibble with my score.

34 comments:

  1. 60 out of 100 AT LEAST!!! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I ALMOST tuned in for this episode just to see what was what.

    But I didn't.

    Now I never will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now this is a lie. Even though the storyline wasn's as good as usual it doesn't matter because in the end This Is A CHARACTER Driven Show. End of story and don't say you won't check it out without giving the pilot a chance. Even if you send a guy to prison at least give a trial.

      Delete
    2. him* give him a trial.

      Delete
    3. How is it a lie? I won't be checking it out. Simple.

      Delete
    4. Why don't you like lawyer shows again? -_-

      Delete
    5. And I only said it was a lie because you said I was lying, even calling them filthy. >.>

      Delete
    6. NO I DID NOT!

      Delete
    7. Please provide proof of your "truthful" statement.

      Delete
    8. p.s you didn't answer my question. :P

      Delete
    9. I don't like lawyer shows because the law is always just a setting. And if I want to see a "lawyer show", then I want to see the law applied realistically. I am interested in seeing the truth of how the law is manipulated by lawyers. That is pretty interesting to me. Not the fake version of the law you see on television shows.

      It is also why I rarely watch cop dramas or military related shows. The people who make them have little interest in sticking within the realm of reality and that's what I want from that type of show.

      Delete
    10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    11. 1) You can't link to your DM box.

      2) Don't link to private messages.

      3) If Eli wanted to change the grade, he would have told ME.

      Delete
  3. Eli says he wants to change the to 62 out of 100. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew the link wouldn't work. :/ oh well. Sorry. :| btw The lawyer part of the show is not really the main reason people watch it for, it's the charcaters. But I will respect your choice. I just really don't like being called a liar. Sorry I over reacted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't take my exclaimed hyperbole so seriously.

      Delete
    2. I usually don't but I had a bad day yesterday and that just..*sigh* I won't next time. :P But could you change the score now?

      Delete
  5. So this is what happens after I go to sleep? World War III.

    In "Anonymous'" defense, we talked about the episode on Twitter DM and I did tell them I probably should have given the episode a 62 and that I was a bit harsh on the grade. It is a character show and I took off too many points for the terrible case in the episode.

    HGF does love his hyperbole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Think twice about the score next time. :P And thanks Eli for proving my "innocence" ;]

      Delete
    2. lol at least I will die innocent. ;] Though you still haven't changed the score. hmmm someone is being.. ;P

      Delete
    3. The score hasn't changed because I WIN!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

      Delete
  6. I think everyone but Magnus would be bored with a lawyer show or a cop show that is 90% realistic.

    I have enjoyed lawyer movies and to a lesser degree lawyer shows such as the Practice and Boston Legal.

    Suits is the best lawyer show currently on television and this was their best episode.

    I give it a 99.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm maybe 99 is a little high, if you count the case storyline but the charcters itself I'll give it a 88. :P with case 75 and that's already high for me. ^__^

      Delete
  7. Boston Legal is my favorite law show ever. Alan Shore and Denny Crane form my favorite TV duo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I think everyone but Magnus would be bored with a lawyer show or a cop show that is 90% realistic."

    Yeah... what a piece of shit that THE WIRE was... you know, the show that is #1 all time on pretty much every reputable critic's list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also the show that like nobody watched in any way or form, lol. Sadly no one with a brain wants to watch realism at all, so I guess we lose.

      Delete
    2. I watched it. Loved virtually every minute of it.

      As long as it can stay on the air, I don't give two shits about its ratings. I'm not trying to win a popularity contest. I'm just enjoying something that isn't written for the general public's need for toned down.

      Or as the network execs call it: KISS (keep it simple stupid).

      Delete
  9. I think her passing the LSAT's means she just passed the entrance exam to Law school, lol. She has to still go to Harvard Law School for 3 years and then pass the Bar Exam too, lol. So she is like at a minimum 3 years away from being a lawyer. So I doubt we will ever see her become a lawyer, but this is tv so who knows.

    As for Pearson or Hardman...yeah I would not choose either too, they are both fucking douchebags.

    As for the chemistry between Mike and Rachael...nah not buying it at all, but whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit the hug at the end was a little awkward(not the feeling of it but how it looked) Mike is just so tall and Rachel isn't tall enough(did you see how high her heels were already!?!?) And anyone who doesn't ship Mike and Rachel are just...crazy. :P

      Delete