20 March, 2012

Castle 4.18 -- A Dance With Death


It's been three weeks since the last new episode of 'Castle' aired, so I was looking forward to watching and reviewing "A Dance with Death".

Luckily for me, I really don't have to review it.

Because I think I could copy and paste my review from the previous episode (4.17 -- Once Upon a Crime), and nobody would have even realized the difference.

Don't believe me? Just check out the first section from that review and tell me they don't almost 100 percent apply to this week's show:

The following is a list of things that happened during Monday's episode of 'Castle':

1. There was a crime
2. Beckett and Castle flirted
3. Castle's mother annoyed him
4. There was a twist in the case
5. Beckett and Castle got the wrong killer
6. Castle accidentally stumbled upon a clue to determine the real killer
7. Captain Gates was nowhere to be found

By now, perhaps you realize that I could use this intro as my review on almost every single Castle episode ever made.

This isn't a complaint on "Once Upon a Crime". It was a typical Castle episode, which means it was enjoyable-enough. The crime was interesting and provided some twists, Beckett and Castle were fun together as always and at the end of the episode I'm glad I watched it.



So basically, all that needs to be done is change "Once Upon a Crime" to "A Dance with Death". Castle and Beckett didn't really flirt at all, but whatever. This was essentially the same damn thing.

I won't lie and say that my laziness isn't a factor in this, but what else is there other than that to really review about this episode?

One original thing I can say is that I loved all the scenes between Ryan and Esposito. They don't get to do too much, but they are fun when they do.


NOTABLE QUOTABLES:

RYAN:"Damn, you see that? She acted like I didn't exist."
ESPOSITO: "You don't, not since you put that ring on your finger. Get used to feeling invisible to single women." 

"ESPOSITO: "Cause now you're all blissfully happy with your wife and whatnot. You have the stink of honeymoon phase all over you. No woman wants to be around that."

ESPOSITO: "What's wrong with you, man? Why do you gotta throw salt in my game like that?"
RYAN: "You can't pick up on hunnies while wearing the eternal symbol of my love and commitment to Jenny. ... Did I just say that out loud? ... No wonder why women won't flirt with me, I'm a lost cause -- a man in love with his wife."

ALEXIS: "All in all, I think there's ample evidence that Mr. Morton was murdered."
CASTLE: "Ample. Murdered. I am just so proud."
ALEXIS: "Dad, work. Boundaries."


RANDOM OBSERVATIONS:

--Is it just me, or are there a lot of murders backstage on this show? There was an episode with a murder at the set of a soap opera last season (3.18 -- One Life to Lose), and a backstage dog show murder earlier this season (4.13 -- An Embarrassment of Bitches). Creativity, people!

--"Well unless our killer used a silencer, someone must have heard a shot." I swear, that quote is used IN EVERY EPISODE OF EVERY CRIME SHOW.

--Ah, the obligatory first suspect with obvious motive and proof of them threatening to do EXACTLY what happened. That person is never guilty, people.

--Mrs. Winterbottom!!! How fitting, considering John Casey will be on Castle later this season. If you don't know what that sentence means, you should be ashamed of yourself.

--I love how gripped Beckett gets when Castle is telling her one of his crazy theories.

--So many contrivances. A man clever enough to get away with one murder gets busted for another because he put the gun in the dumpster behind his office? C'mon. Alexis discovering the natural cause of death was bogus, but a professional not seeing the obvious signs of a pillow being used. Eh.

THE SCORE: 74 out of 100

Whatever. Who cares what my score is, anyway?

9 comments:

  1. Look, here's the thing. This episode was lame. The case of the week was WAAAAY too convoluted for me with the two chicks and one chick was doing this thing and the other chick was doing that thing, and one of them was already dead or maybe not dead and then she was dead again ... halfway into the episode I couldn't even remember who was who and why either of them did anything they did. And I didn't care either cause it wasn't that interesting to me.

    1. There was a crime: I actually liked the fairy tale crime from the last episode better.
    2. Beckett and Castle flirted: Barely, NOT enough for me.
    3. Castle's mother annoyed him: That story was only mildly amusing.
    4. There was a twist in the case: Zzzz
    5. Beckett and Castle got the wrong killer: Zzzz
    6. Castle accidentally stumbled upon a clue to determine the real killer: Zzzz
    7. Captain Gates was nowhere to be found: HA I didn't even notice, again

    Oh and I agree with you about Ryan & Esposito. Their story was really the only good part of the ep.

    The bottom line is ... NEXT WEEK is the episode I want to see. If this episode had never happened or if I had skipped the entire ep just to see the preview for NEXT week, then I would have lost absolutely nothing in terms of continuity or even Castle/Beckett flirting cause there was basically none!! I want to just fast fwd to next Monday now cause THAT one looks good ... some shit's gonna go down. But I can't fast fwd because I need to see the Hunger Games on Thursday night. Luckily I have that to keep me occupied until next Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adults 65+ can't get enough of this kind of show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The case of the week was WAAAAY too convoluted for me with the two chicks and one chick was doing this thing and the other chick was doing that thing, and one of them was already dead or maybe not dead and then she was dead again ... halfway into the episode I couldn't even remember who was who and why either of them did anything they did. And I didn't care either cause it wasn't that interesting to me."

    I was thinking the same thing Mary, but my mind was so jumbled that I couldn't conjure up the words to articulate it.

    Thank you for doing so for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You forgot the best quote of the night: "When I started dancing, I gave up thug life." First thing that popped in my head was Save the Last Dance. Should've named him Derek, not Eddie.

    Yes, I watched Save the Last Dance. Don't judge me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CASTLE is such a predictable show in that all you have to do is look at the clock to know whether they got the right person or not. I don't even know why I'm still watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAH I know ... as much as the shipper in me is addicted to this show ... this statement is 100% true. It drives me nuts.

      Delete
    2. Because seasons two and three would throw an episode in there like 3XK (intriguing case, well written, smart criminal) or A Rose for Everafter (Shipperific (can I trademark that?)), and the two-parters were always good. Plus, every episode that dealt with Johanna Beckett's case was usually pretty good as well.

      The problem with this season is that we haven't had a 3XK type of episode, the two-parter was very underwhelming, and there has been almost zero movement on Johanna's case or, really, Beckett and Castle's relationship. It's like they're ignoring those two aspects after any mention of them in a previous episode.

      Plus, I think the writing this season has been subpar compared to the last couple. All the secret keeping between Beckett and Castle is reminding me of Chuck keeping the fact that he's back with the CIA from Ellie in season 4. It feels completely contrived. Neither of them want to hurt the other but they are both doing stupid things that will end up doing just that.

      Or maybe I'm completely wrong, and I just feel underwhelmed by this season and what the writers are doing with the characters.

      Delete
  6. I missed some episodes and didn't even realize it until weeks later.

    ReplyDelete