Big Mike has a heart as big as his appetite for Subway sandwiches.
And we all know how much he loves those. Perhaps, if not for the writers utilizing an in-show advertisement like that, the show would have ended after season 2. But Big Mike's love for those tasty treats (and they are pretty tasty, plus only $5 for a footlong) eventually became a fan campaign to save the show and an international phenomenon that is now legendary (thanks to Wendy Farrington, who came up with the idea and worked her ass off to make it happen).
Big Mike could be seen, at times, as a tyrant to work for, or a softy with a loud voice, or an intolerant fascist who loves the corporate machine, or a rebel who forms a rebellion to fight the decision of the Buy More suits. You just never know with him. Though, you do know that whatever he brings, it is going to be funny. Or dangerous. Big Mike has taken out a villain or two without ever realizing what is going on inside and below the store.
Here are some other interesting facts about our heroic big guy:
1. Has been the manager, a green shirt, and assistant manager of the Buy More.
2. Loves fishing and greatly values his stuffed marlin, named Norman.
3. Had an affair with the wife of one of his employees, Harry Tang.
4. Married to Bolonia, the mother of Morgan Grimes, who he met via an online dating service.
5. Was once ransomed for a pig named Kevin Bacon.
6. Once in a band called Earth, Wind, Fire, and Rain. When he left the band, they renamed it Earth, Wind, and Fire.
7. Always ready to give a bit of advice, sometimes while yelling.
8. Already established but... he loves Subway sandwiches.
9. Created a Buy More commercial starring Captain Awesome.
10. Fill in the blank in the comments section below because my memory has run out of info!
Love him or love him tons, Big Mike's one of the most likable characters on the show.