14 December, 2012

Review - FRINGE 5.09: 'Black Blotter'


"I wanted to cry for you. But I'm different now."

Walter's acid trip toward the reconstitution of his brain brings a fairy good time.

I know what you are wondering. Did this episode make up for the general weakness of this season? Did the writers finally remember what this series is about and put more focus on characters and relationships over slow plotting boredom? I mean, did they do so without spreading a ton of moldy cheese all over it?

Maybe?

We did get some amount of Walter tripping, Astrid looking cute, and Peter & Olivia in-love. These things work well so the writers have spent a large amount of time not utilizing them out of fear of making what many love about the show less interesting.

That makes a lot of sense since purposely making the show suck DOES elevate the enjoyment of those elements when they are actually utilized well.

So a signal brings our heroes to a house where the Observer kid with the terribly hidden bald-cap is being protected by some old dude and a frail woman. And that's when Walter joins a Monty Python sketch to save the day. After some talk, the gang takes the weirdo back to their secret base and tries to make him drink hot coco. It is here, during some dumb dialogue, that it becomes clear that this kid is September. Not to the characters, of course. That would be too easy. But to anyone with a brain.

In the end, Walter trips some more balls and then sets fire to his damnation. Unfortunately, he is already doomed. He now knows and soon the world will end by his hands.

Did I skip a story element that would illuminate the meaning behind what I just wrote?  If it feels like I'm not putting a lot of effort into this review, consider your observational skills tested and confirmed to be in working condition.

If I had to rate this episode, and the makeup department over at WB says I don't, then I'd give it:

76 out of 100

It wasn't terrible.

What did you think?

22 comments:

  1. Hate to break it to you dude, but September is Donald.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bald cap looked extra bad tonight. The monty python bit was stupid. I liked half of it and the trippy shit was over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda liked the music in this episode... Hurley Gurdy Man – Donovan, The Pusher-SteppenWolf... :) And since I'm a Python fan I was happy when I saw that animation bit...
    The little bald guy, Michael Cerveris Observeris looks like a hybrid between Eminem and a wood elf. The original one was much cuter… I didn't understand why didn't the child get older, though.
    I think there were too many flashbacks from the past and the pacing was still awfully slow... But you could see that they were wrapping it up in their own way as well...
    On the Polivia field:
    Joshua Jackson takes one down for the Fringe team yet again! ;) It’s the shirtless Peter once more, ladies! Seeing Peter smile again makes girls giddy… :) :) :) Scruffy faced Peter + bed head = ovaries exploding. And um… What’s with the separate bunks??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because they didn't have another double bed to spare? Sheesh. Why are people obsessing over the fact that everyone except Walter is sleeping on cots? The double bed belongs to Walter. ("Hey old man - haul your creaky old bones over to the cot. Liv and I want to ball")

      Delete
  4. Anyone who didn't like the Monty Python animation doesn't deserve to watch good TV. It was great. I've watched Fringe since the beginning and this episode and specifically that animation sequence was the first time I felt compelled to go online and share my enjoyment with like-minded fans. I should have guessed on the internet I'd be more likely to find critics that could never come close to being as creative and clever trashing the episode. BTW, learn to spell cocoa if you're going to use that simple 5 letter word in a critique of someone's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey look, everyone! The arbiter of good taste has graced us with their presence!

      Mind you, I didn't say anything negative about the Monty Python bit. As for "coco" vs "cocoa", like it matters. He didn't drink it. So in my mind, it was hot coconut juice.

      Delete
    2. You may not have said you disliked the Python-esque animation but another commenter before me did. All you did was say the series sucked so bad mediocre episodes look good by comparison. BTW, the spelling/meaning of cocoa might be minutia to you but it got your panties in a bunch enough for you to respond to my comment. Maybe someone who offhandedly trashes other people's work should be a little more thick skinned? I may not be the arbiter of good taste but I sure can spot hypocrisy when I see it.

      Delete
    3. You followed that up by mentioning critics... so unless you are incapable of basic paragraph and sentence structure, you were referencing me.

      Also, what about my response seemed thin skinned? I made a facetious comment about my misspelling. I think you're a bit tightly wrapped. Loosen up.

      Delete
  5. By the way, if you want to read a more detailed review that says everything I was too lazy to say, go to the link below.

    http://www.hitfix.com/monkeys-as-critics/fringe-recap-black-blotter

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lazy unimaginative episode! Walter tripping on acid and that's what we get? Even boring Olivia's mind was more interesting in S3's "LSD".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I loved the Monty Python bit! And the foot was in it! That was so great! Was it actually done by Terry Gillam?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why does every episode of Fringe these days have to be judged as either the BEST EVER or WORST EVER? This episode was fine. Not the greatest, not the worst. Some parts cool, some parts boring. Considering it was written by a complete newcomer to the series, it could have been a lot worse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best: Olivia and the Observer boy, I could have watched an entire episode with the two of them just staring at each other or having a drink together.

    Give anna torv an emmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best part was Olivia and the child, they could have done the entire episode with the two of them, drinking cocoa.


    Give anna torv an golden globe, an sag award,
    an oscar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing... nearly a week has gone by and we didn't have a Josh Vs. Anna war in the comments section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's because of the fact that John noble/Walter has been the center of attention in this episode. You know, its sad that there are no wars between the josh/John Anna/John fanbases.

      Delete
  12. No review of Anomaly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. No interest in reviewing it.

      But I will review the finale(s).

      Delete
    2. I saw your comment on Hitfix regarding the lack of effort of the writers. If the writers do not give a shit then why write about the show? lol. I cannot believe that they are retconning the whole show, what the fuck?

      Delete
    3. If I cared about the show as much as I cared about some other shows, I would be so mad. But in this case, I am just disappointed.

      Delete
  13. Oh look, a retcon! Oh look, another retcon! Oh look, another reset! Weeeeeeeeee!

    Two episodes left! I'm crying! :D

    ReplyDelete